Streamlining is the process of simplifying or eliminating unnecessary tasks to improve efficiency. It requires the acceptance, understanding, and use of modernizing techniques, tools, and technology. The benefits of streamlining include better cost control, higher productivity, better communication and time management, reduced risk, enhanced customer service, and more.
To successfully streamline, you need to assess key areas of your business to see where such improvements are feasible. Here are four suggestions, in case you’re having trouble getting out of the gate:
1. Minimize or eliminate paper.
Paperwork piles up unbelievably fast. It causes immeasurable clutter, chaos, disorganization, and dust. Not to mention the negative impact on the environment. Sheesh! If you’re scratching your head wondering how to get rid of it, ask yourself the following questions:
- Are those paper files really necessary?
- Why was that paperwork created in the first place? (Hint: “Because that’s the way we’ve always done it” is not the right answer.)
Another tip: If information is available online, it generally does not have to also be accessible in paper form. And when you eliminate paper, you can then eliminate things like cumbersome file cabinets and storage boxes that have been holding it all – and the time spent by employees filling them up. It’s a win on so many counts.
2. Empower your employees.
Effectively delegating and empowering your employees to do their best work has myriad benefits to morale, engagement, loyalty, retention, and ultimately, the achievement of desired business results.
- Your team members on the front line – the good ones, anyway – know their jobs and your business better than anyone. Your superstars instinctively understand your processes, decisions, plans, and vision. So, capitalize on this synergy. Give them guidance and direction, then let them run with it.
3. Consolidate software.
In talent management and overall business operations, develop integrated software platforms that erase redundancy, speed up time frames, and boost employee and customer satisfaction. This applies to everything from everyday tasks to long-term projects and strategic initiatives.
- The consolidating mindset means you avoid having stand-alone software to support each business system. And, jumping from one operating system to another, or between apps, only slows down your delivery time.
Software consolidation is a great example of an aspect of your business ops that you may want to consider outsourcing to an expert, so you can stay focused on what you do best: running your company. When you’re in charge, multitasking is your MO – but it doesn’t make you an expert on everything. Outsourcing can be one of the best decisions you make as you streamline for maximum efficiency.
- Recent research shows that 59 percent of companies outsource to cut costs – and enhanced efficiency, productivity, and profitability follow. Outsourcing can help to solve capacity problems, improve service quality, and meet overall customer needs.
Streamline Your Success with Search Wizards
Search Wizards offers best-in-class solutions to help you keep your workforce and your company on track when it comes to streamlining your business operations. Building teams, and building your business for the future, is our specialty. Read our related posts or contact us today to learn more.