Since the global pandemic, job seekers have changed the way they perceive work, and life in general. But one thing that hasn’t changed is: employers need to understand and meet candidates’ expectations in order to have a shot at hiring desired talent. In today’s post-Covid world, competition for the best candidates is tougher than ever – and those altered perceptions of how the perfect workplace should look and feel are even more critical.
Earlier this year, Gallup completed a poll of 13,085 U.S. employees to determine what was most important to them when deciding whether to accept a new job. Results showed that in order to craft a truly convincing job offer and candidate experience, employers need to focus on compensation and employee well-being, as well as offering opportunities that play to people’s best strengths, along with job security and Covid-19 and DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) priorities.
A Closer Look at the Numbers
As noted by Gallup, understanding what your current employees would seek from their next jobs – or hopefully for your sake, the ones they’re already in – is key to optimizing your organization’s talent attraction strategies and retaining your top performers. Leading the way are:
- A significant increase in income or benefits: Employees are aware it’s a job seeker’s market in the wake of the Great Resignation of 2021. You may need to reassess your compensation structure. Know current market rates and what your competitors are offering, and get the pay conversation right. Make sure candidates understand the true value of their salary and benefits and how it connects to both their personal and professional development.
- Greater work/life balance and personal well-being: Even pre-pandemic, numerous studies had noted how burned out, overwhelmed and stressed the global workforce is at large. And even for workers not experiencing these symptoms, the increase in remote work brought on by Covid has significantly raised awareness of the value of job flexibility options. This trend is here to stay.
- The ability to do what they do best: People want the opportunity to do work they’re naturally gifted at and/or trained to do, and that they enjoy and find stimulating. Make the effort to understand what really makes candidates tick. Give them a realistic preview, including a spot-on job description and a winning hiring experience.
- Increased stability and job security: After two years of living with uncertainties, employees need their employer to be a stabilizing force that they can count on. This has historically been the case, but study results reinforce it as the world rebounds.
- Covid-19 vaccination policies that align with their beliefs: Regardless of where people stand on vaccinations, they still seek clear alignment between their beliefs and their employers’ policies.
- Diversity and inclusion: Workers are demanding concrete, substantial change, so consider: Is DEI a priority at your company – more than just lip service? Do your candidate experience and employer brand reflect this commitment?
As you power up your talent acquisition team, consider partnering with Search Wizards. Talent acquisition has been our sole focus since 2005. We’re recruiters ourselves, and we can match you with the sourcing pros you need to meet and exceed all your goals. Reach out to us today to learn more.